Friday, April 12, 2013

Hop Glop

Iteration number (?) of my house IPA, in which I change yeast strains and hop profiles. I have been experimenting with different hopping techniques to get that punch-you-in-the-face hop aroma and a more smooth bitter flavor. The last few batches I had been hop bursting, playing with different addition amounts and times during chilling. Inspired by a recent BYO article on hop stands which provided more specific technical information on "whirlpool" hopping at home, I decided to give it a shot. Essentially, a hop stand is meant to mimic that of a commercial breweries whirlpool addition. A number of top IPAs in the country utilize a only a bittering charge (whether from hops or extract) and a large whirlpool addition.

The linked BYO article is a great read and has plenty of information worth absorbing. I am not going to further explain the technique, since I will most likely end up regurgitating what's in the BYO article close to verbatim. If you are looking for more specifics, refer to the article.  I utilized the "flavor" hop stand in the 212°F to 190°F range and the "aroma" hop stand in the 170°F to 160°F range (sub-isomerization). 


Enjoying a 100% Mosaic Hop Glop out of my favorite glass
Hop Glop

Size: 5.5 gal

Boil: 7.75 gal (75 min) 
Efficiency: 75%
WLP 001 - 244 billion cells 

Water  


Ca: 130.7 ppm          Cl: 88.3 ppm

Mg: 1.9 ppm             SO4: 201 ppm
Na: 15.8 ppm            Cl to SO4 ratio: 2.3



Grain


12 lbs. Pale US 2-row (1.7 L)

1 lbs. Carapils (1.7 L)
1/4 lb. Caramunich II (55 L)

-Mashed @ 152°F for 90 minutes. Over sparged, resulted in longer boil (75 min). Grain bed hit 170°F. 

-Mash pH = 5.2.

Hops


1 oz. Columbus (15.1%) @ 75 min for 47 IBUs

1 oz. each of Columbus (15.1%), Amarillo (8.5%) and Simcoe (14.1%) @ "flavor" hop stand for 30 minutes and "aroma" hop stand for 15 minutes and dry hop.


-Pitched @ 74°F (Since getting my fancy new thermowell I've noticed the internal temperature of the wort can vary by as much as 2-4°F to that of what is on the fermometer on the outside of the fermentor)! This temp was the internal temp of the center of the wort, whereas I thought I was pitching at 70°F.

-Aerated 60 seconds pure oxygen.

OG: 1.067







No comments:

Post a Comment